Human Design Parenting: Raising a Reflector Child
Parenting by Design
Human Design – known as the science of differentiation – is a modality to help us understand how we can understand and use our personal energy during this lifetime.
As humans we are perfectly designed for thriving in our environment here on Earth, but from birth (and possibly even before), we experience natural conditioning – from our family, care givers, school, society and culture.
Often, this conditioning forces us to lose our natural, inherent knowledge and wisdom. Through learning more about your unique Human Design, you can start to unpeel those layers of conditioning to reveal the true you.
Raising Kids According to their Energy Type
One of the first things we look at in your bodygraph or Human Design chart is your energy type. There are 5 energy types:
- Manifesting Generator
The way the energy types are created depends on which energy centres you have defined or open (coloured in or not).
Each energy type is different in the way they interact with the world around them. You might instantly recognise the main traits of your energy type, or you might need time to let it sit and look back over your life to realise that there were times you were were living out of alignment and actually your energy type fits perfectly (but conditioning took you away from you were really were). Whatever feels right for you is what is meant to be.
Strategy: to wait a lunar cycle
Not-self theme: disappointment
- Approx. 1% of the population
- No inner authority
- Defined by all open energy centres
- Famous reflectors: Sandra Bullock, Richard Burton
The mirrors of society, a reflector can help move humanity along by showing us where we are and how we are doing. If a reflector is not in a good state, it’s likely that those around them are not either.
With no defined energy centres at all, a reflector samples energy from all areas from those around them – so it is vital that the people and environment around a reflector are optimal for their overall health and wellbeing.
A reflector can sense and absorb the energy around them so spending time alone regularly is key to a reflector’s physical, mental and emotional wellbeing and happiness. They need to cultivate a very clear sense of self so they can recognise what is theirs and what is not.
The gift of a reflector is that we can see where we need to improve – they are barometers of the world, and despite often being labelled as over sensitive, are in fact incredibly strong and robust if living in alignment, because they are aware of themselves and can adopt/detach where needed.
10 Tips for Parenting a Reflector:
[Sample bodygraph only]
1. Ensure they are happy with their environment, including the people in it. They quickly pick up on the energy of others.
2. Give them plenty of time to make decisions; do not rush, force or coerce them to quickly choose or decide on something.
3. Limit quick transitions from one place / activity to the next and prepare them for what’s coming.
4. Trust their innate wisdom about spaces and people, e.g. they might want to leave just after arriving somewhere.
5. Let them have plenty of rest and downtime; they absorb a lot of other people’s energy throughout the day.
6. If they become sick, unhealthy or upset, look at the environment / people around them – they are a true reflection.
7. They love being connected to nature and the outdoors so facilitate this whenever possible.
8. Let them talk decisions out and give them time to assess options. It can take up to 28 days (a lunar cycle).
9. They can be inconsistent and change their mind/heart often. Embrace this without shaming or judging them.
10. Parenting a reflector means becoming very aware of and attuned to your own emotions, design and energy as they will truly reflect this.
Ready to add Human Design to your parenting toolkit?
Keen to dive deeper?