Human Design Parenting: Raising a Generator Child
Parenting by Design
Human Design – known as the science of differentiation – is a modality to help us understand how we can understand and use our personal energy during this lifetime.
As humans we are perfectly designed for thriving in our environment here on Earth, but from birth (and possibly even before), we experience natural conditioning – from our family, care givers, school, society and culture.
Often, this conditioning forces us to lose our natural, inherent knowledge and wisdom. Through learning more about your unique Human Design, you can start to unpeel those layers of conditioning to reveal the true you.
Raising Kids According to their Energy Type
One of the first things we look at in your bodygraph or Human Design chart is your energy type. There are 5 energy types:
- Manifesting Generator
The way the energy types are created depends on which energy centres you have defined or open (coloured in or not).
Each energy type is different in the way they interact with the world around them. You might instantly recognise the main traits of your energy type, or you might need time to let it sit and look back over your life to realise that there were times you were were living out of alignment and actually your energy type fits perfectly (but conditioning took you away from you were really were). Whatever feels right for you is what is meant to be.
Strategy: to respond
Not-self theme: frustration
- Approx. 37% of the population
- Defined by sacral energy centre
- Famous generators: Albert Einstein, Meryl Streep
Generators have a defined sacral energy, meaning they have a consistent way of accessing their life force energy (physical, creative, sexual). Despite common misunderstandings, they are not meant to be a workhorse. They can put an incredible amount of focus into their work, and they can focus for long stretches, but their magic only happens when they are doing something that lights them up. Otherwise, their energy is completely drained.
Generators need to fully expel their energy throughout the day before they can recharge. Trying to sleep too early will have them restless. It’s important for generators (and all types) to tune into their body wisdom for guidance – asking regularly “does this bring me joy?” is a great thing for a generator to become aware of what they really want to do vs what they feel they should do.
10 Tips for Parenting a Generator:
[Sample bodygraph only]
1. Respond better to Y/N, this/that questions instead of open-ended ones.
2. Need to expel all energy before sleep; need plenty of wind down time before they show tired signs.
3. Need to be celebrated for their effort and the journey, regardless of the outcome.
4. Can be a visionary, but also have the sustainable energy and focus to finish what they started.
5. Encourage them to tune into their instant ‘gut’ feelings on things.
6. When they are working on something that lights them up they can display a strong focus and obsession with detail.
7. Need to be encouraged to find the joy in life, not just follow to please others.
8. Sometimes struggle to ask for what they need for fear of rejection.
9. Can easily become people pleasers or follow the crowd to avoid judgement.
10. Encourage mindfulness practises to help them tune into their sacral energy (gut responses).
Ready to add Human Design to your parenting toolkit?
Keen to dive deeper?